Notices

A fairly shy hello

Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A fairly shy hello

Hello there! Erm, not really sure where to start. I have had problems with drinking for years and it has caused problems in my life before, but it's been especially bad lately. I moved to China 6 months ago to teach and the drinking has started seriously affecting my work, I've been given many warnings, and I know that rock bottom for me would be being fired from this job and have to return home because of drinking. So I've actually stopped today! And... not feeling too great right now, feel more... lost than proud. And I had an idea to join a forum because obviously I can't get any professional help in China (I can't speak Chinese) and my work colleagues don't really know me that well outside of.... well, work and binge drinking. So I thought this would be a good place to get some support!

I've tried quitting so, so, so many times before and I'm petrified this will be another failed attempt. I've (stupidly) based so much of my identity around how drunk I can get and the reputation that comes with it, but it's making me completely unhappy, turning my friends against me and.... I've gone on for too long, sorry

Anyway, nice to meet you!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jaggdlittlephil nice to meet you
Old 03-18-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello…. welcome to the site. Browse around - there's no end of useful stuff here.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Phil!

You'll find plenty of wisdom and support here at SoberRecovery, if you work for it. Read around and post often!

I am a big believer in AA, but since you can't get to meetings I recommend Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy. Google "AVRT" and take the Crash Course--it can empower you to quit drinking for life.

Here's the SR section for discussing AVRT: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/

Last edited by Coldfusion; 03-18-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-18-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, phil!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

Glad you are making the jump to sobriety.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Jaggdlittlephil,

Read as much as you can from this site. There is so much experience from others. It has been invaluable to me.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Google "AVRT" and take the Crash Course--it can empower you to quit drinking for life."

That sounds wonderful! I'll do it, thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jaggdlittlephil!!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Phil!

There is lots of support here anytime of the day or not, so please continue to read and post.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Phil

D
Old 03-18-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Phil - this site offers soooo much to read, it is really insightful and supportive.
Wishing you the best x
Old 03-18-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Phil. I'm pretty new at this myself. This is a great place to learn to help yourself.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Phil

newbie here too on day 4. I often go 2 weeks so nothing new in that per se. What is new though is the stuff I am learning from reading around here. I am already certain it has been beneficial.

Best wishes to you and welcome.

CC
Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome.

What are your interests? Find one and make that part of your identity and reputation. Art, music, exercise, woodworking, etc. Anything.

Whenever we start something there is the potential to not succeed, but you can't use that as a reason to not try. So, don't not try to get sober because you think you'll fail. Go for it.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Welcome Phil. I love your username. You must be an Alanis Morrisette fan. That's such a good tune.

You'll find lots of help and support here - you've come to the right place.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Phil! I know what it's like to have your identity based around your drinking habits. I've run into that when I've tried to quit before and instead of telling my friends the truth, I let them talk me into drinking because "drunk me" is just so much fun. Except when I'm not. And, definitely, except for the next day and all the disruption it causes to my REAL life. Well, that's what I'm here to work on, too.

It must be hard being overseas like that. I'd toyed with the notion of teaching in Asia and although a lot of things stopped me, I worried what I would do if my issues followed me across the world (which I'm sure they would). I've gotten pretty loaded in some foreign countries and it can be scary! I'm glad you found this site since I can't imagine it is easy finding help without speaking the language and such.

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy the process of carving out your true identity. It's an exciting thing, being able to make yourself over and better, but for today, just focus on being sober. The rest will come with time.

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to the forum! Stay here and post a lot, it's a great place for information and support.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi phil Welcome to SR