View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Originally Posted by FallenAngel29 View Post
Thank you all for being so welcoming. I have to say that I think I'm just being paranoid and that I REALLY CAN do this.
I thought, very objectively, that I would never actually stop drinking. I saw all the other people on here who had stopped and figured they had something in them that I just didn't have. My resolve lasted until 5 pm and then I was drinking again, even with the best intentions of not drinking that night.

Two things that changed for me:

1. I gave up the idea that I would ever drink again. In all of my failed attempts in the past I had this secret thought that maybe I'd sneak a couple on New Years 2018. Keeping my options open, right? Nope. I was finally able to stop when I was OKAY with never drinking again, even on New Years, 2018.

2. That said, now it's going to sound like I'm contradicting myself, but hear me out. I had to also stay in the day. "I will not drink today." I made that my highest priority in life. Go to work. Don't drink. My two rules I lived by. Food became a temporary crutch but I was totally okay with that. One night after a particularly bad night with insomnia, maybe a few weeks in, I made nachos for breakfast. Why? Why not!

3. Check in here every day. Every day. I had a lot of time on my hands when I stopped drinking. What's a few hours a day reading on here? I read thousands of posts, some from five or seven years ago.

Please believe me. You can do this. I thought I was hopeless but I'm nine months from my last drink and as hard as this is to believe, I don't even miss it. The first thing that comes to my mind when I see alcohol is a debilitating hangover.