View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FallenAngel29

Ready to quit. What to expect

Hi, I'm new to the website and looking for some advice from those of you who have successfully sobered up. Bear with me as I have a lot of questions and a huge need for reassurance.
Firstly, my husband and I are both high functioning alcoholics. The most I have drank in a 24 hour period would be 6 25oz beers with a content percentage of 5.5% and 10 shots of vodka. My husband has drank as many as 10 of the same beers and an equal number of shots. Again, that is the most. Typically it is more like 5 shots each and 2 25oz beers where he will have 4 beers.
The reason I'm sharing is because we both agreed and realized we've gotten out of control and we were going to quit. I've been feeling the urgency for months now and he's finally feeling it. Last night we drank a little less. I had 2 beers, he had 3 and we each only had 4 shots. Tonight, the plan is to take one less shot and the same amount of beer.
Here's where it gets scary. I have an irrational fear of the unknown (I have all my life) and I'm TERRIFIED of the withdrawl symptoms. I've attempted to quit cold turkey before and I experienced headache, nausea, rapid heart beat and anxiety. The part that terrifies me is my heart. Before I drank on a regular basis I would have to visit the hospital on several occasions for a resting heart rate of 180 or higher. The cause is an irregular heartbeat. At any rate, I am very afraid that withdrawl may kill me. But I know continuing to drink will as well.
Any advice, encouragement or tips? I can only speak for myself when I say I want to quit SO BADLY. I have never wanted anything this badly. This is my life, I don't want to destroy it and the lives of my children in the process or, worse, lose it.