View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Going out with friends to a bar at four days sober is insane.

Of course, everything about alcoholism is insane, so this isn't a judgment of you.

If you want to get sober and stay that way, you must be willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES. Be paranoid and ultra-cautious and take NO chances in the beginning. For the first SEVERAL months, at least, make it a practice to avoid alcohol. If you haven't gotten it out of your house, do it. Say no to invitations for a while. If it's something you honestly feel you cannot get out of (your best friend's wedding or something), then have a PLAN. I used to arrive late and leave early. I also got myself a soda as soon as I got there, concentrated on talking to the people I needed to talk to, and not sitting around watching other people drink. It's also a good idea to bring some phone numbers of sober friends you can call or text for immediate support if you need to. And if you feel AT ALL like you might drink, make your excuses and leave.

The question you might be asking yourself is how much you really WANT this.

Incidentally, you won't have to do this for the rest of your life (avoiding being around alcohol). Once you're on truly solid ground, there's no reason you can't go out and do whatever, as long as you have a good reason for being there. Most people who have been sober for a while find activities where drinking is the main event rather boring.