Thread: Resentment
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 12:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I think that sometime people (our friends family etc) expect recovery to be like a tricky week / month / year, and then we can get back to normal and not have to worry about it.... And that's when they haven't heard all those promises before and are at the stage of 'yeah yeah', expecting to be made mug of. I know it' annoying when you're feeling like you're doing great and would like a bit of appreciation for your efforts. It just doesn't happen like that though. This is YOUR journey. Not theirs.

Sorry you felt that the AA meeting was a bit negative. Maybe try a few different ones. I know there is a definite different atmosphere at the different ones I've been to. I tend to go to the more upbeat and gratitude driven ones when I can. Remember, some of the old-timers are amazing fountains of knowledge, and some just think they are. Same as at any bar or family gathering. They'll be some folk you love, and others that'll make you bite your tongue, or excuse yourself for bathroom break. But AA keeps me sane and is a chance for recovery talk without driving my partner mad telling him stuff he doesn't 'get'.