View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaneda8888

Hi Calicofish

I also bang on about a plan when responding to newcomer threads. So, its only fair that I share my plan.

For me, its about developing a recovery plan to overcome the addiction. In mechanical terms, this involves spirituality (meditation, buddhism practice, prayers), exercise (vigorous), counselling (in the early months), reading/posting on SR and attending AA meetings.

Everyone's plan caters to their individual needs so there really isn't a fixed template. However, I've noticed that common elements usually run through most folks recovery plans.When you stop drinking, there is a hole in your daily routine and in your mind. That space needs to be occupied !

For me, the recovery plan isn't just about remaining abstinent but is more about finding out the reasons why I drank, how to develop coping mechanisms in place of alcohol and to further personal growth so that I would not need to activate coping mechanisms in the first place.

It took a few months to figure out what works for me and I would emphasise that its what I call a 'living' plan in that it adapts and changes over time. For example, I no longer do counselling sessions as I no longer felt a need (well, at least right now I dont ).

Be patient with yourself and try things out ! You may find activities where you are of service to others being beneficial or not. You wont know until you try ! Hang in there !