Notices

What exactly is a plan?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

What exactly is a plan?

Hello:

I'm just a bit over 2 weeks sober and I read frequently on these forums the suggestion of a plan. What exactly is a plan? I'd love to see some examples of people's plans.

My plan, so far, is not to pick up the next drink. Get involved in my new community. Exercise. Take care in what I eat (but that is waffling a bit since I am craving things like carbs/chocolate). Keep busy. Read and participate in SR forums. Think about a sober future and make it a reality.

Anyone else care to share their plans? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A Plan, for me, is about answering questions ahead of time;

What will I do when I'm offered a drink? Specifically, what will I say?

If I'm going to a social setting where there'll be alcohol, what will I do to remove myself from the situation if cravings or alcoholic thinking start getting the best of me?

How will I SUPPORT my decision to not drink? AA? SMART? SR? What will be my actions to keep my head and spirit armed against the things that lead me back to alcohol?

What CHANGES will I make? Am I going to put myself intentionally in situations where there will be alcohol? Am I going to continue the same patterns of my life that are closely associated with drinking - or am I going to shift some things that I have to honestly admit are not conducive to staying sober? What are those things?

What other ACTIONS will I take to help support these changes? Will I have counseling to help with anxiety and emotional changes? Will I join a support group? Will I journal? Will I meditate? Will I exercise? Join a running group? Start a new hobby? Volunteer?

In short.... now that I have made the decision to "NOT DRINK" - just how in the heck do I think I'm going to stick to that. It won't just happen by magic, and sheer will only takes an addict so far......

A PLAN is about thinking through your life in big picture terms and in small, every day terms and re-evaluating how you're going to live in support of being sober.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.
You seem to have a good start.

For me I needed to stay honest with myself about MY drinking AND accept the fact I cannot drink alcohol in safety. After that I needed a plan of action, like exercise, healthy food, becoming very active in AA, helping other alcoholics and working on recovery which were the deep reasons I drank.
So far it’s worked for a lot of years.

BE WELL
Old 03-12-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
My plan, so far, is not to pick up the next drink. Get involved in my new community. Exercise. Take care in what I eat (but that is waffling a bit since I am craving things like carbs/chocolate). Keep busy. Read and participate in SR forums. Think about a sober future and make it a reality.
Seems like you've got the planning concept locked, cocked, and ready to rock.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto the above, especially what FreeOwl said about encountering social situations and drinking but I will add life situations and changes. My parents are getting older as we all are and my dad has substantial cardiac issues. I'm not willing him into an early grave but how will I handle things when either parents passes? How will I handle a job loss? How will I handle holidays? Vacations? Seasonal changes?

Each plan should have a backup plan. If you mainly use exercise to cope with anxiety, what will you do if you are injured? I've seen a relapse on here when a runner sprained or broke something. Life happens and I needed to be able to shift plans on the fly.

You've a good start to a plan as IoAA said. That's great. Keep it fluid and expanding and it will serve you. As we grow in sobriety the basic plan keeps me grounded but different things will work at different times and situations.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

For me a plan is things youl do to remain sober i really agree with FO's post
Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like some good sober planning there. Many wish to add some spiritual teachings and or studies to their Program.

MM
Old 03-12-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I believe you understand the concept in that you are already taking steps toward making a change in yourself. I ate more chocolate candy last year than I did the previous twenty years combined. If not more.

Just learn some craving techniques, stay strong and if you feel the need to get involved in any kind of group therapy then do it. Arm yourself with all the weaponry available if you need it.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

My plan was build around avoiding triggers and dealing with cravings:
1. Saw a doctor for support.
2. Walked part of the way home after work for relaxation.
3. Found substitute food and drink.
4. Developed deep breathing exercise.
5. Found other ways to relax.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me, a plan also includes what to do when the cravings hit. I will play the tape forward (what are the consequences of my drinking, what would I be feeling tomorrow), I will try the gym, being out at a store to distract myself, doing chores, and if I am not sure what to do, coming here. Sometimes just posting here or just reading can be very helpful if you're not sure what to do.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, a plan was to figure out a way to embrace life and enjoy each day. It had to be about much more than not drinking. I immediately got involved in volunteer work which turned out to be a gift of meeting caring and loving people and developing deep friendships. I started walking a lot and that turned out to be beneficial on so many levels. I think your plan has to reflect you and what you want from recovery.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Calicofish,

I have the same question so thanks for asking! I've only realized recently that I need a more directive plan.

Overall, I've added regular exercise and improved nutrition.
I've removed toxic relationships.
I have started brig social in different ways than I used to.
I WRITE a lot, now. I made sure to record everything in my journal. Why am I doing this, what do I want from my life, what are my goals, how will I get there etc.
Since I hadn't found SR when I first quit I didn't realize there was a difference between abstinence and recovery, so I didn't anticipate the obstacles some others have spoken of:

How will I explain my choice to friends? How will I turn down invitations to events that were once important to me? What will I do on Saturday nights? How will I deal with cravings? How will I deal with CARB AND SUGAR cravings (those are a thibg - ugh!)

My thinking is that our plan should be open to amendment if we learn new information about ourselves, if we have more questions, and if something's not working.

Hope this helps.

Congrats on two weeks, keep it up!

Strength and love x
Old 03-13-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Calicofish

I also bang on about a plan when responding to newcomer threads. So, its only fair that I share my plan.

For me, its about developing a recovery plan to overcome the addiction. In mechanical terms, this involves spirituality (meditation, buddhism practice, prayers), exercise (vigorous), counselling (in the early months), reading/posting on SR and attending AA meetings.

Everyone's plan caters to their individual needs so there really isn't a fixed template. However, I've noticed that common elements usually run through most folks recovery plans.When you stop drinking, there is a hole in your daily routine and in your mind. That space needs to be occupied !

For me, the recovery plan isn't just about remaining abstinent but is more about finding out the reasons why I drank, how to develop coping mechanisms in place of alcohol and to further personal growth so that I would not need to activate coping mechanisms in the first place.

It took a few months to figure out what works for me and I would emphasise that its what I call a 'living' plan in that it adapts and changes over time. For example, I no longer do counselling sessions as I no longer felt a need (well, at least right now I dont ).

Be patient with yourself and try things out ! You may find activities where you are of service to others being beneficial or not. You wont know until you try ! Hang in there !
Old 03-14-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread - it is very helpful to actually see other people's plans.

I agree that plans should be ever evolving because life evolves. I will be sure to keep an open mind (but not so open that my brains fall out).
Old 03-14-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hello:

I'm just a bit over 2 weeks sober and I read frequently on these forums the suggestion of a plan. What exactly is a plan? I'd love to see some examples of people's plans.

Anyone else care to share their plans? Thanks.
I like your plan xxxx
Old 03-14-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My first plan started with a hangover and I'm never doing that again. It went don't drink, don't drink, don't drink, drink. Over and over.
Then I got locked up and it was can't drink, can't drink, can't drink, drink.

Then it was go to AA, get a sponsor, work the steps, try and live by these new principles, try and get. Handle on this spritual stuff,and hey, I haven't drank, for 35 years and counting!

I found the right plan in the end, and it really was near the end.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Bump because I've read a couple of threads today that have asked what a sober plan is.

Perhaps more people will add to this thread so that others (not just me) can use it to formulate a plan for themselves.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

I plan to never drink again, and to never change my mind on that plan.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I was really glad to learn very early in recovery that AA had a plan all ready for me. It was a relief to know that there was a simple set of steps, and I could look at the entire program and decide to continue.