View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
thotful

I had a major rush of anxiety and shame when I made a mistake just before it occurred. My wife had cut a bunch of tree limbs and I was loading them into my truck. They stuck out a bit so I got into the bed and began to rock up and down to kind of mash the limbs inside (didn't want them flying out during the drive to the transfer site). I look up and realize one of the limbs is pressed up against the back window. I realize too late and the window cracks.

queue almost unbearable rush of anxiety and shame. I go to my wife and say, please recognize that I have a hard time with making mistakes. Be gentle please. Remind me that you love me.

She was really polite and we worked together to clean up the mess.

I suppose I might be triggered to cope with the anxiety and shame with alcohol. Luckily, I determined that I would face the anxiety and shame. Acknowledge that it was there. And that I have more of it than the average person.

You made a mistake. It happens to all of us. The person seemed to have taken it personally and was letting their anger overwhelm their judgment (in my opinion). Their behavior is on them. Feeling anxiety and shame are things that you can work with for you. You're still an awesome and worthy person. You just made a mistake - you wouldn't be human without making some mistakes throughout life. In the end, perfection is neither attractive nor is it even possible (heck, can the human race even agree on how we would define true perfection? what is it EXACTLY?)