View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ajarlson

I can say resoundingly - YES I identify with this!! It happens to me all the time (not that extreme) when I accidentally cut someone off or someone gets mad at me in traffic. If they get aggressive at all I fall apart. It's quite annoying. My therapist suggested that I start trying to move past this by doing little things. For instance, at the grocery store if I notice that the checker has made a mistake, in the past I wouldn't mention it. For fear I was wrong? For fear the checker would get mad? A way to avoid any conflict at all? Probably a combination. She said it was because I was conditioned to not know how someone would react - so I feared the worst and avoided it. But, she said, normal people will respond normally, so if you say ' I think you rang that up twice' - a normal response is for the checker to say ok I'll take a look, and if you're right, she says sorry and takes it off and moves on, if you're wrong she says nope and moves on. So I have started with the little things and it's actually working! She said first, take note when my stomach clenches and just take note. Just start by recognizing. Then try saying something. I started with this and it has been working, baby steps... hang in there you're not alone.