View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SpiritOfDjinn
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post

Processing.
On one hand I think 'Ugh! Im done forever!" and on the other hand I think "He's right, things just need to be different next time" Which I know doesn't work, I've frickin tried it so many times.

It's so hard because he is my best friend, husband, companion, partner, I trust him with my life, my childrens' lives, he is the head of the household, the wise one, the one everyone looks up to. He has been right with so many things in my life that without fail, he has always made the right decisions when I was floundering and unsure.
Then there is this! Is this the one thing he is wrong about? I find it very, very hard to go directly against his thinking in this.
I fully understand your thought process on this one. He's your rock and you feel like he could never do anything to harm you. It feels safe to go along with what he says is the right thing.

In this one particular case though, I do believe he is wrong. Now that's not to say that he's going to encourage you to drink or that he's not the man you thought he was or anything like that. I think that he just doesn't know or grasp the magnitude and depth of your situation. It could be also that he was trying to convey to you that he's afraid that things will go back to the way they were?

Whatever the case, I'm sure he loves you enough to respect any boundaries you set between yourself and alcohol. Just keep the lines of communication open.

My wife has expressed to me how unfair it is that she won't be able to drink in her own home until I'm stable enough to be around alcohol and not drink it. She thinks it's unfair to her because she doesn't have a problem, etc, etc ad infinitum... But when I put it to her bluntly, "If you bring it into the house, I WILL end up drunk," she relinquished.

Keep your chin up and fight for what you want and need in your life. I'm positive that your husband will support you!