View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

A Plan, for me, is about answering questions ahead of time;

What will I do when I'm offered a drink? Specifically, what will I say?

If I'm going to a social setting where there'll be alcohol, what will I do to remove myself from the situation if cravings or alcoholic thinking start getting the best of me?

How will I SUPPORT my decision to not drink? AA? SMART? SR? What will be my actions to keep my head and spirit armed against the things that lead me back to alcohol?

What CHANGES will I make? Am I going to put myself intentionally in situations where there will be alcohol? Am I going to continue the same patterns of my life that are closely associated with drinking - or am I going to shift some things that I have to honestly admit are not conducive to staying sober? What are those things?

What other ACTIONS will I take to help support these changes? Will I have counseling to help with anxiety and emotional changes? Will I join a support group? Will I journal? Will I meditate? Will I exercise? Join a running group? Start a new hobby? Volunteer?

In short.... now that I have made the decision to "NOT DRINK" - just how in the heck do I think I'm going to stick to that. It won't just happen by magic, and sheer will only takes an addict so far......

A PLAN is about thinking through your life in big picture terms and in small, every day terms and re-evaluating how you're going to live in support of being sober.