View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
GracieLou

I was never a goal person. I never had any goals, ever. I had a lot of dreams though. Never accomplished any of them and to be honest, I am grateful today I didn't put more effort into them. Many of those dreams would not fit into the life I live today.

When I stopped drinking I had a goal, one goal, and that was to remain sober. I had no other goals in my sights and that was enough. I didn't drink and went to meetings. I got with my sponsor, worked the steps and got active. That was it for my first year.

A year seems like a long time but in the realm of sobriety it is a small drop but it was a VERY important drop. It was the solid foundation that I could build on.

I still don't have goals, I just live day to day and I am happy that way, at least for now. Maybe some day I will find something that interests me so much or creates a drive in me that I will feel the need to go out and grasp it but for today I am content with living a sober life. Embracing what I have and the people in it.

My dreams used to consist of running away. A cabin in the woods with a lake, fish, wildlife, living off the land. Real Little House on the Prairie stuff but at the end a cave with a blanket, pillow, cable TV and a bottle of booze would have looked like heaven.

Where ever I go, there I am. I can move anywhere but if I am not happy, with my life and myself then I am not going to be happy just because I am taking up space somewhere else in the world.