Notices

Goals during sobriety:

Old 03-06-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Goals during sobriety:

My goal when I am sober is to live off of the grid in a cabin or ranch-style home... I want to buy land and live off of the grid. My other goal is to finish my education to the highest degree... and to stay sober through it all. What are your goals?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LionOfJudah View Post
My goal when I am sober is to live off of the grid in a cabin or ranch-style home... I want to buy land and live off of the grid. My other goal is to finish my education to the highest degree... and to stay sober through it all. What are your goals?

I did a couple of things I talked a lot about doing during my years of drinking.

Nothing panned mind you out but there is a sense of completion in my attempts.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

No1 staying sober Loj baby steps
Old 03-06-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To find serenity, and peace within my self. To combat my fears and face up to my actions. To learn to be honest with myself and other people. To stop letting rage or heartbreak be my default emotions for anything that happens, and to stop taking stuff so personally. To be a good friend to myself, and treat myself in a loving way.

If I ever get that shizz sorted, I don't think it'll matter what job I'm doing; where I am; or who I'm with.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I so hear you on the off grid cabin, lionofjudah. Small, energy efficient, with solar panels, on a nice piece of land. I have developed land before so I'm always kind of on the lookout for a nice parcel somewhere. Problem is that sort of lifestyle encourages isolation, which for me isn't good, so I have held off. And my suburban home in Oregon is wooded enough to feel like it's remote.

But in the meantime, since I got sober, I started traveling and ended up living in the Philippines, lol. And this can be so easily done here. Lots of cheap, forested land, plenty of rain, no snow.. haha. So now I'm thinking nipa hut (bamboo.. with wood floors and steel roof) and solar panels. And a small dirt bike for transportation.. Can't seem to get away from the idea, haha.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to make not drinking alcohol my one and only goal for the first few months to calm myself and stay focused. Make that a year.

If anyone would have come to me like oh cool! You're sober let's buy bicycles and ride to yoga on the way to that hike and we should start a dance class....blah blah.... it would have driven me insane. I wish I was more proactive but I've achieved some solid sobriety (8 months)? This has felt like the most productive year of my life!

I think it's time I start branching out and setting some goals.

In fact four years ago when I try to stop drinking my guy got really excited and basically said what I typed above. Like oh let's get really in shape now and you can get in shape now and will go to the gym now......it was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I am going to give myself a year before starting any new hobbies. Working full time is enough for me right now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I needed a year to hit a huge PAUSE button. I needed my life to be very very quiet and calm. Even my time out in public is been somewhat limited I don't want to get overly stimulated if that makes sense.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was never a goal person. I never had any goals, ever. I had a lot of dreams though. Never accomplished any of them and to be honest, I am grateful today I didn't put more effort into them. Many of those dreams would not fit into the life I live today.

When I stopped drinking I had a goal, one goal, and that was to remain sober. I had no other goals in my sights and that was enough. I didn't drink and went to meetings. I got with my sponsor, worked the steps and got active. That was it for my first year.

A year seems like a long time but in the realm of sobriety it is a small drop but it was a VERY important drop. It was the solid foundation that I could build on.

I still don't have goals, I just live day to day and I am happy that way, at least for now. Maybe some day I will find something that interests me so much or creates a drive in me that I will feel the need to go out and grasp it but for today I am content with living a sober life. Embracing what I have and the people in it.

My dreams used to consist of running away. A cabin in the woods with a lake, fish, wildlife, living off the land. Real Little House on the Prairie stuff but at the end a cave with a blanket, pillow, cable TV and a bottle of booze would have looked like heaven.

Where ever I go, there I am. I can move anywhere but if I am not happy, with my life and myself then I am not going to be happy just because I am taking up space somewhere else in the world.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Self-employment in my chosen field.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Only goal I have seen work in the long run is - going to the grave sober. Everything else is transient.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i'd love to live off the grid in a cabin, be self-sufficient... somewhere in the depths of the wild far from civilisation; i don't feel like i belong to this urban sprawl, all this engine grease and petrol and oil and condensed bodies packed in salivating over possessions and material wealth, it's like it's all clinging to my skin and it's lurid and suffocating. i've looked at land in the scottish highlands, though.

but if that's not possible... and it's difficult in the uk; the wilderness is very small, and i can't get far enough away from people to recognise the space... i want to publish a graphic novel. my art and writing is reasonably developed but i need to work on a few aspects before i can establish an actual book, and i gotta get sober before i can do that. i am holding onto that. it's a massive driving force.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I break my long-term goals up into small manageable steps. Right now, my goals are to live sober, exercise regularly, and eat well - and not to go overboard on the last two.

Long-term: build values back into the way my family lives and to rebuild my career.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Really like these posts! I guess you all have got me to really thinking about goals. Certainly the immediate goal is to continue to continue not drinking. Being sober has really helped me focus on my students. I just want to help them get out of the nest. I teach lots of seniors in high school. Many speak of graduation, but many also talk about getting "wasted" on the weekend. My goal is to just try and help them make good decisions.
As for living off the grid... Many of my old hippie friends did this over the years. All of them came back for one reason or another. I would visit in the summers and think. Wow maybe I could do this. Then when I had to bathe in the river everyday it became clear to me that I couldn't give up my hot water and the bubble bath.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

50 pounds lost-done.
Healthy-done.
Debt free-done.
Rebuild retirement funds(lost to divorce)-done
Rebuild self-done
Keep the promise made at your feet my dear mother.
Mamayev Kurgan.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I put down alcohol (1991) I didn't think it was possible to not drink but with the help of AA and a sponsor I've put quite a few days together. I never could have imagined what I could achieve sober: I wrote two books, built a major website and traveled to every continent on earth including Antarctica. I've also had the worst things happen in sobriety. But I wouldn't even be alive today if I hadn't stopped drinking. So dream big!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My main goals in early sobriety were to not drink alchohol and to not take drugs.

I also wanted to establish a regimine of attending a lot of meetings and working the steps with my sponsor.

I probably ha some profssional aspirations, also, but I can't even remember what they were. I am sure they involved money, property and prestige, though.

My daily goal is to try to be God's man to everyone I see each day.

I admire your off the grid endeavors.

As for me, though, I like burning gasoline and gunpowder, so I have a larger carbon footprint.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Only goal I have seen work in the long run is - going to the grave sober. Everything else is transient.

thats for sure!

I have a simlier goal i want to live off the beaten path and work the land. People have said to me oh but what if this happens or that happens you'll get pissed off and get tired of that. Yes maybe I will and thats where the transient thing comes into play. Things are always changing. while I may desire this or that now sooner or later I may desire something else. I'm ok with it so long as it keeps me entertained but ultimately I need to be ok with just the way that things are.

I'm almost worried however. that as I become ok with what is and just how things are that i maybe become too lackadasical I know i spelled that one wrong! and too complacent. I worry I may end up less and less passionate about dreams and bright future as i simply become more ok with what is. and I have to wonder is that ok? will that be ok with those around me who are directly affected by this. will others be ok if my mindset is more more or less just along for the ride rolling with the punches rather then interested in grabbing the wheel and trying to drive.

or is all that transient too. I dunno.

I read this today.

In the land of I know there is always competitiveness, jelousy, pretence, pride and arrogance. It is an aggressive rhealm, the rhealm of the ego. I say refuse citizenship! in the land of "i dont know", the inhabitants move without conflict and are naturaly quiet, happy and peaceful. the wise stay here. --Before I am by mooji
Old 03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would like to have a job or career that I actually enjoy. There was a time when I made my living entirely through music, performing and teaching. For the last few years I've simply "had a job" that pays the bills.

I would also like to continue my education. Get a master's degree or maybe a second bachelor's, but I'm not sure which direction to go with that. Getting a master's in music would certainly make me a better musician but wouldn't necessarily open up a lot of doors job-wise. Being able to teach at an institutional level would be the big one there. But with a second bachelor's (perhaps in management or accounting or something like that) I could make the move into more upwardly mobile positions, but being in my 40's it seems a little late to start at the bottom and try to work up from there.

Anyway, whichever way I choose to go, right now I am just focused on sobriety. Everything else is hingeing on that.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I want to go back to University and focus on biology.
I want to travel the world.
I want to drink Ayavusca in Peru with a real deal Shaman.
I want to become a Chef.
I want to learn a second language.
I want to lose a few more pounds and then put on 10 pounds of lean muscle.
I want to Stand up Paddle Board in the Caribbean.
I want to be super dad.
I want to eventually meet a nice lady.
First and foremost I want to stay sober and climb out of this funk.

Just a few personal goals... None of them are possible at a good quality without me first getting this sobriety thing under control.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am a positive, patient, involved husband and father
I am easily earning $x
I am easily earning $x in bonus per trimester
I am ranked in the Top 20%
I am running 35 miles per week
I am an Ultra Marathoner (50k, October 2015)
I am a healthy eater and remain alcohol free
I am reading positive material daily
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

How are you Lionofjudah ?