View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Stevemcqueen

Originally Posted by OpioPhobe View Post
Steve - welcome. The brain is a marvelous thing. I have very little personal experience with those substances, but I think your best bet is to give it time. My mind tends towards psychosis when I am under the influence of any hallucinogen, which kept me largely away from them. Of course, I had to learn the hard way and try most of them once. However, the dissociatives are beyond my realm of experience.

Going to see a doctor is a great idea, but I am not sure it will be as fruitful as one would hope. Most of them will probably blow it off, look down on you, and not have a clue on what to do. How many times do you think they get a psychonsaut come through their office that went a little overboard? Maybe if you did extensive research into a doctor that actually knew the field it would be worthwhile. Going to your run of the mill Primary Care doctor is going to be a waste of time in my opinion. I did a quick search, and it looks like NYU used psilocybin recently in research with terminal cancer patients. You might try looking up the directors of that research and reaching out to them for a start. I do think you are going to need to do some serious research to find a qualified doctor and be willing to travel (Manhattan is just a train ride away anyway). Maybe I am completely wrong on this one, and it is more common than one would think.

I would be shocked if there is much that you can do other than to give it time, but I am not a doctor. Maybe there are certain techniques they could use to sharpen your cognitive functions though. Playing certain mind games (e.g. a simple game of memory) might get your mind back in shape. Crossword puzzle, suduko, etc. would all be good too I would think.

As far as your job goes, you could try to spin your bosses' perception in your favor. The last thing they will want is a disability lawsuit. If you really wanted to go down that route maybe you could tell them you needed to come in late one day because you are going to a fundraiser for XYZ disability (something that has similar symptoms to what you are having). That might make them nervous because they may assume that you have that disability. Also, you can't go after an employer unless they know about a disability. Setting something up like that could make them cautious because an employment attorney worth their salt would think that they couldn't claim ignorance about the disability. Of course, it would just be smoke and mirrors, but it might work. I am not sure how you feel about the morals of doing something like that. It is probably something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing, but I guess it would depend on the type of boss I had (or how bad I needed the job).
I love that idea of playing brain games! Lately I spend just about all of my free time doing things I consider mentally stimulating (reading, writing, language learning, music theory study, etc.) and the occasional crossword or sudoku puzzle seems like a great addition to this routine. I'm going to start counseling once I work up the courage to make the call and schedule the appointment. I think it would be better that I see a counselor before seeing a doctor about my issue.

I would definitely follow up on your advice to insinuate that I'm disabled but my bosses have been very good to me, very patient too, so I don't want to pull anything like that on them. I had however considered telling my bosses that a traumatic event slowed down my brain function somewhat (which is half true), seeing as that isn't something that somebody would want to pry about, but last night the head chef asked me out of the blue "Steve how much pot have you smoked in the last three years?" I said "much more than I should have" and now he jokes with me about it but I'm not sure whether that information has gotten to my bosses, but I think I'll have to rely on my own personal improvement either way. I have been getting better at it though so that's a positive!