View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GettingBy

(((JennyK)))),

So many times I have those kind of days, and the things that I find myself chanting over and over... "One day at a time", "Just for today", and most importantly, "Be Gentle!" Oh yeah... and I love "First things first" because it helps to remind me that I need to revisit my priorities!

As far as anger goes, I find for me what helps is to take a good hard look at what is causing the anger. Last night I found myself in the old habit of getting in a fit of rage because B was out at the bar until late into the night. I sat and look at it and said, So what is making me so angry? He's out drinking and spending money. Yes.... well, no. I'm mad that he's still doing it, in spite of all our "discussions" (because we have them too!! Read my post "Need a safe place to vent!"). SO, then is my angry really because I'm dissappointed because he's out doing what he does?? (He's an alcoholic, that's what they do!) You betcha! I'm dissappointed because of my own expectation. Expecting him to do something he can't. Well, then I guess I'm really mad at myself. BUT, I have to be gentle with myself b/c it takes time... and I'm learning, albiet slowly but it's still progress! In taking those steps, I found that I turned my anger into dissappointment, and then into an "Aha!" moment. I saw it as a learning opportunity and a time to grow! It takes patient and a true focus on self, but it truly works if you work it!

Hang in there and be gentle!
Shannon