Old 03-01-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
MesaMan

'Kashmir' has a lot of meaning for me.

First, I vaguely recall it was written in something like 'Mixolydian' Scale where the Note Intervals convey that 'Middle Eastern' inference.

Second, I saw Zep play this at the L.A. Forum circa '75; a Concert later put out on DVD. Kinda kewl to remember 'gee, I was there'. Kinda. Remember.

This Concert was the first time I heard Subsonics. On only this repetitive Riff at the end of 'Kashmir', a whole separate set of large Bass Woofers and Amps were kicked in, playing that Riff an Octave or two lower. The effect was amazing. It just shook your Body, and really upset lotsa Folks on a visceral level. Some jumped up and went running for the Exit Doors. Chaos, really. I remember kinda having to cinch down and bear it, because I wanted to get away from this Sound, too. In the nick of time, the Song ended.

Third, the thing I love about this Kid Vid - besides all the sizes of Xylophones and Vibraphones [those with the Brass Tubes hanging down like Lionel Hampton used to play] - is all the lil 'secret' bits that emerge. I didn't see the Girls in the back left playing Keys at first. The 2nd Percussionist is kinda hidden initially. And, so on.

These Kids are playing in Louisville in a ~1 month. Plus, they got the real Zep support that matters! I saw this Vid a few weeks ago, and heard this NPR Story today.

Jimmy Page & Xylophone Percussionists ~ NPR

-----