Old 03-01-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lovenjoy
happy, joyous an free!

"Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace"

thank you for asking my thoughts on this Seek as it has got me pondering, which brings growth yes? MG that is a wonderful explanation BTW!

i wasn't able to grasp this concept for a very long time but the fact that i wanted to made it important to me. the hardships of living with an addicted son just seemed to keep piling up and i struggled. i was angry much of the time, and scared and resentful and frustrated.....

i prayed and read and did meetings and counseling yet still struggled with acceptance. then my focus shifted to letting go. i began to see that i was nursing the negative feelings which the hardships i was dealing with brought up. so when something would happen the anger and sadness and madness were right there to access and i built on them...

so i worked on letting those feelings go. i acknowledged them, felt them but learned to let them go each time. then i worked on the resentment which was all those stored up negative feelings..... i began to have more clarity. learning to let go has been very powerful for me.

i then addressed acceptance again. kinda back and forth. i accept my son is an addict and it is his journey. not mine. my journey has become my focus... and i have let go, really let go of any belief that i can make him recover. i accept that all of this is hard, i let go of any angst about it and i have a peace deep within that i have never known.

i have been reflecting on this phrase -"Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace" - for many years. i am a recovering alcoholic and spiritually aware but the deep in the soul understanding of this alluded me. until i faced the hardship of not being able to help my child in a life or death struggle.

i now have a peace within that is just always there. doesn't mean i don't still struggle because i do. and it's been a long, hard year of addressing my part in this arena of addiction to get here. but i am beyond grateful for this peace within. and if it wasn't for the extreme hardships i've endured i would not have found the path.....

so now i understand. acceptance truly is the answer to all my problems today. it is what it is.....