View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
There is a serious misconception that AA has a concept that it is the only way to get and stay sober.
There is nowhere in AA approved literature that I know of( and I've read a lot of AA literature) that states AA is the only way. There are actually a few different places AA says it isn't the only way.
And most in fellowship are very glad people get and stay sober other ways.

But maybe I missed something in AA literature you could point out for me?
Sure thing, TomSteve. Here are two examples, right from the BB. I quote the first edition here:
"To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face."
“When we became alcoholics…we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing.”
This one is from the 12 and 12 publication.
Unless each A.A. member follows to the best of his ability our suggested Twelve Steps to recovery, he almost certainly signs his own death warrant.
Now, the points can be argued of course, but it is easy to understand why some fellowship members who read a little too quickly might get the wrong idea from these BB quotes and take it upon themselves to deliver those stern warnings along with that fear-driven slogan of 'the alternative is jails, institutions or death'.

Fortunately, we know better, and there is a lot of information about highly effective alternatives that require neither 12 Steps nor a recourse to the power of a higher entity. This link talks about different addiction treatment methods, and SR's Secular Connections forum is for the discussion of these alternatives.