Notices

AA, not the only program that works

Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA, not the only program that works

This morning I just met someone who admitted he is in recovery but does not follow AA or 12 steps. He is 13 years sober too. It pleases me to hear that others succeed without AA as this was one of my main struggle with AA: The concept that AA was the ONLY solution. Although I go to AA myself, I could not understand nor could I agree with the concept. I felt it was false and presemptuous and even dangerous at times.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a serious misconception that AA has a concept that it is the only way to get and stay sober.
There is nowhere in AA approved literature that I know of( and I've read a lot of AA literature) that states AA is the only way. There are actually a few different places AA says it isn't the only way.
And most in fellowship are very glad people get and stay sober other ways.

But maybe I missed something in AA literature you could point out for me?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There are other solutions. For some, AA is the only solution that worked for them.

Sadly, many have found no solution to alcoholism. Maybe they believed the concept that they couldn't get sober at all, no matter what they did.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

AA itself does not say that it is the only way, yet some people who are IN AA make the mistake of saying this. You can find this same only-one-way sentiment in all sorts of areas from politics to religion to how to make spaghetti sauce. Myopic people can be found everywhere. Tell them about your friend with 13 years. Hopefully they can learn and grow too.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
There is a serious misconception that AA has a concept that it is the only way to get and stay sober.
There is nowhere in AA approved literature that I know of( and I've read a lot of AA literature) that states AA is the only way. There are actually a few different places AA says it isn't the only way.

I wasn't referring to the literature but what members are saying and many are old timers or have a serious recovery time
Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are many ways, just find yours
Old 02-28-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I prefer the word remission. I had a spontaneous remission with another serious medical condition too and can't explain either. I know if I ever drink again all bets are off with both. I'm always looking for the right words for those that haven't been able to hear.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

AA dosen't say it is the only way to get and stay sober.

People say all sorts of things,ignore them and focus on your own recovery.Taking other people's inventories will not help you at all.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it's normal human reality that most people are enthusiastic about what has worked for them. Listen to it as much as you find it helpful.

No, unfortunately there is no one single method that seems to work for everyone. How great would that be! But then we would not be here discussing these things.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeap, loads of methods to the same end of Sobriety!!

It's all about finding out what works for you!!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 48heath View Post
AA dosen't say it is the only way to get and stay sober.

People say all sorts of things,ignore them and focus on your own recovery.Taking other people's inventories will not help you at all.
I try not to but difficult when the people who claim this are 20some years in recovery and I am only starting...
Old 02-28-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more as AA shuns anything outside the rooms for recovery. Hence the coined term dry drunk. There is only ONE recovery program to AA period.

I attend meetings too.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itstheone View Post
I am sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more as AA shuns anything outside the rooms for recovery. Hence the coined term dry drunk. There is only ONE recovery program to AA period.

I attend meetings too.
And if you could point out where in AA literature it says that I would appreciate it.

I do know there are personalities in AA that have that opinion.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Sure thing, TomSteve. Here are two examples, right from the BB. I quote the first edition here:
"To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face."
“When we became alcoholics…we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing.”
This one is from the 12 and 12 publication.
Unless each A.A. member follows to the best of his ability our suggested Twelve Steps to recovery, he almost certainly signs his own death warrant.
Now, the points can be argued of course, but it is easy to understand why some fellowship members who read a little too quickly might get the wrong idea from these BB quotes and take it upon themselves to deliver those stern warnings along with that fear-driven slogan of 'the alternative is jails, institutions or death'.

Fortunately, we know better, and there is a lot of information about highly effective alternatives that require neither 12 Steps nor a recourse to the power of a higher entity. This link talks about different addiction treatment methods, and SR's Secular Connections forum is for the discussion of these alternatives.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There is not an original thought in AA. It is a hodge podge of medical, psychological, and spiritual concepts Bill Wilson borrowed from 100 different sources. So it should not be surprising that AA is not the only way.

What is unique is how these concepts were packaged into a program that has worked for millions.

There were many things I thought would never work but here I am sober 5.5 years down the road. I was a late stage physically dependent alcoholic but so far I am leading a great sober life. I made it through the death of my daughter sober and that would not have been possible without AA.

As much of an AA fan as I am I believe we are cutting ourselves short if we do not keep our eyes and minds open to other solutions.

Are there other ways? You bet but for me I don't plan on fixing something that isn't broke because AA addresses the psychological, social, and spiritual aspects of sobriety.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have heard it said, "There is no wrong way to get sober."
Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Everyone quit the same way--by not picking it up again. How one stays sober is as varied as the billions who have done it since the beginning of time (yes, folks got sober before 1939 --countless).
Old 02-28-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please note - this is the Newcomers forum.

Please Read! The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Fight it out on PM please.

This thread is closed.

Dee
SR