View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
firstymer

Hey, Jim. Congratulations on the triathlon training. I managed to train for several marathons even while drinking 6-10 drinks per day about 5 days a week. Frequently, the sweat had not yet dried on me before I found myself mixing a giant cocktail after a training run. You can't be an alcoholic if you are a marathon runner, right? Wrong.

Know this: Your training will be easier and your race results will be faster if you quit. Mine have been. It is just one of a gazillion reasons to quit.

My "aha" moment came when I finally realized that my on/off drinking switch was broken. I never wanted one drink. I wanted 5. Or 10. And that isn't how a "normal" person drinks. It just isn't. Under those circumstances, moderating my drinking was not realistic.

Consider whether it is time to just be done, once and for all. Whether it is time to quit dancing around the issue and recognize that you can't drink like others and, therefore, you shouldn't drink. At all. I made that decision and it was perhaps the smartest thing I have ever done.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.