Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Tonks
Ya**!

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Hi alpha. I'm very sorry for your troubles.

I don't generally comment on other therapists' work unless there appears to be imminent danger for the patient or I otherwise have a good reason to do so, and especially when I have very little context to work with.

Your comments from the post I quoted indicate to me, among much else, that you have a strong attachment to your therapist. Otherwise, your anger at her recommendations would be much less intense. I'm also thinking that people don't contact their therapists after a period of separation if something meaningful didn't occur in their previous work. You contacted her for a reason or reasons, some part or parts of which you may not be fully aware. I'll leave that part at that.

As for the section I typed in bold, none of those conditions you mention, alone or together, is nearly as lethal as your addiction. Your addiction can very directly kill you, and it's possible that you could take someone with you in the process.

From another post, you stated that it's the therapist's job to meet the patient where she is. I won't debate this in terms of priorities on the part of the therapist, except to say that our most prominent concern is or should be the safety of the patient, right up there with the therapist surviving the treatment intact. Also, it seems that you and your therapist differ as to "where you are" at the moment, and as others have suggested, it would be a good thing for both of you to discuss this in person.

You're in one of those awful cycles in which it seems as though everything is going against you, and you likely feel under attack by your own feelings at times, maybe most times. I know what that's like, and my heart goes out to you.
Thanks for this.