View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
H2SO4

Originally Posted by StevenBills View Post
I've found whenever you're dealing with someone thats trying to help you, its best to do your best to let them do that. So, if you need to tell them things that might make you feel awkward; Do it anyway!
They can't tell anyone unless you explicitly make threats against yourself or others.
I know it can be really hard to talk about, but in the long run its worth it if you're upfront with people.

You also can't think of those kinds of people as "Normal" people per say. They deal with people ALL day that have ALL the same problems. They are trained and educated to deal with all kinds of these issues people have. They wouldn't be doing it if they didn't want to actively help people.

Besides, the way I look at it is; They see 100 people a week and some of them are probably INSANE. So drug addiction and depression is probably something they don't mind helping you with.

Anywho, good luck with it!
Great advice! That's the way I always try and look at it. No matter how messed up you think your problems are, there are probably 8 other clients that are WAY more screwed up than you. Chances are is that your case might be child's play for the therapist. They want to help. Swear, tell them the grossest thoughts you have, don't hold back. It will help them get to know you!

Remember, they paid money to learn how to help people. Help them do their job!