View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Shamal

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
One other thing I always wonder -- and then I'll stop this rant -- why are we atheistical alcoholics so high and mighty that they can't stoop to be talked at by anyone with religion? When did we get so all-fired up & proud? When I was drinking, I'd have gone to confession to find a bottle in the booth, and I wasn't too proud to do a lot worse than that.
Firstly - the preamble specifically states (well the meetings in my city do anyway) that AA is not allied with any religion. The wholesale promotion of Jesus goes against the very essence of the program. People have every right to criticize those whose motivation is to bring christianity into AA.

Secondly, you can speak for yourself about your own experiences before and after your sobriety. For me (and many others I speak to) it's entirely the opposite to what you suggest in your 'high & mighty' retort. As a drunk, I would actively seek out fundamentalist christians and devour them with my 'intelligent atheism' (note my reference to my own ego there). Today I would do nothing of the sort.

Since finding AA, I am softening my viewpoints considerably. Sure, *I* still think the notions are ridiculous, but I'm learning that it's not for me to say what someone can cling to if it brings them happiness. I am also opening up to a more spiritual outlook on humanity, and how my existence impacts the universe around me. It may be a bit 'hippy' for some, but there's a rich stream of 'religion' that I have started to tap in to. While AA itself may not be illuminating me to this wisdom, had it not been for walking through those doors, I would not be on the path towards inner peace.

I'm even starting to think I've cracked what this whole religious business is about, but this is not the thread for such discussion.