View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Originally Posted by Shamal View Post
Please allow those with questions to feel free to speak without fear of ostracism. It's hard enough for newcomers without there being an inference that their questions will be censored or dismissed.
My bad. But though I put a dismissive spin on my words -- default tone of my alcoholism which you picked up, but sarcasm is a long way from censorship -- the question was in earnest. The threads on this particular topic on SR, which is usually a very tolerant place, generally devolve into trench warfare quickly -- people lobbing their opinions like grenades from fixed positions.

I'm an atheist. Not an agnostic, not a fence-sitter, not a philosopher of science -- an atheist.

I go to AA. Sometimes people mention god in meetings. Some of them even believe in a god. People have believed in various gods since prehistory. I don't expect anything different, especially when they're also talking about the most important things in the world to them -- sobriety, life, death, insanity, fear, joy....Sometimes people use the phrase "higher power." I don't, but I certainly admit there are powers higher than myself. Lots of 'em.

One other thing I always wonder -- and then I'll stop this rant -- why are we atheistical alcoholics so high and mighty that they can't stoop to be talked at by anyone with religion? When did we get so all-fired up & proud? When I was drinking, I'd have gone to confession to find a bottle in the booth, and I wasn't too proud to do a lot worse than that.

Ah, I've answered my own question. AA-related rants are fun!