View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Turtle82
Sober Alcoholic

My question is, is there someone on this site that can be a sponsor, or mentor to people like me to see me through this?

Has anyone PMd you yet? There was no internet for getting sober when I did. Meetings were all there were so I found my sponsor at one of those. I think face-to-face makes it easier as you can see age, expressions, etc. My sponsor was there to help me through the Steps when I needed it or sage life advice when I needed that. She was not a micro-manager type of sponsor who believed that God would direct me as long as I stayed in contact with Him... ie: stressing the spiritual message in the Steps.... which suited me best. For me, during the ensuing years, I found that it was working the 12 Steps of AA and daily contact with God (my higher-power) that helped me the most. Meetings were good for other things, like fellowship and keeping up with a healthy activity in the early days, but it was the Steps that, in my opinion got me and kept me sober. Later, meetings were good to pass it on with 12th Step activity but there are many ways to do with without attending meetings. The ways are pretty endless actually.

Since we can't see each other nor hear each other talk like we can at a meeting, its a pretty daunting task to seek out the posts of individuals trying to get a handle on "who" they are and if that would be a good fit for us which, in my opinion, is critical as a degree of bonding is best when facing some of our early resistance to various suggestions. Its also hard for a potential sponsor for the same reasons. May I suggest you give a bit more information about yourself... as much as possible without breaking your anonymity... for instance, would you say you're a spiritual type, general age group, etc? You might want to talk about your join date here too. If you do decide, at some time, to check out a meeting, I would suggest closed ones, Step or Big Book ones. I understand your apprehension... I think... though it is an anonymous program, there's no guarantee all individuals attending will keep it that way.

Best to you and congratulations!