View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
greeteachday
Administrator

It's hard to wrap our arms around the idea of addiction or alcoholism, especially when we watch a bright and talented child suddenly face such challenges...Challenges that often are a fight for life. Folks I know in recovery are equally at a loss to explain how it ever got to where it was.

The negative thoughts and fears were what kept me up at night and kept my mind racing. Coming here and going to Naranon ultimately helped me to really see that those thoughts and worries were doing nothing for me or for my daughter...in fact when she sense my fears and anxiety she seemed to get the message that I didn't have faith in her ability to take steps to help herself. So I had some hard work to do on my side of the street too.

I don't want to minimize his license suspension - one of my kids went through that as well and I know it was really hard. But she figured out ways to arrange transportation, physically moved so she would be on a public transportation route for work, and it was a relief to know that she wasn't able to drive while she was still shaky in recovery.

I really hope these hard lessons are ones that will help him to see that he has to make a commitment to change. With some solid recovery work, all the rest can fall in place. We're here for you.