Old 05-05-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LeeCheo

Thanks for the discussion so far...

Originally Posted by FriendofBill
Welcome! Thanks for posting. Do you still work an Al Anon program?

Keep coming back?
Thanks to all that welcomed me -- yes, I still work an AlAnon program, truely. Some days I work it better than others...

I think my frustration occurs -- and I've been experiencing it for some time, when I feel like I am in recovery alone. Well do I know that this is a family disease - I had a rather traumatic childhood and was in ACOA long before my AH went to rehab 5 years ago. The trauma didnt end with my father's sobriety, but I thankfully gained a lot of tools to protect and take care of myself. I certainly need to be reminded to use them. The alcoholism in my marriage was kind of like the Claudia Black book "It will never happen to me" ;-) although I did not end up being the alcoholic -- just the co-dependent ;-)

I am a fixer, a do-gooder, a people pleaser, for sure... But I'm also loyal to a fault -- and am contemplating whether that's working against me now.
Al-Anon & ACOA help me. But working my program doesnt fill the void of a lost husband, a lost friend, a lost partner...

Human"ness" is to react -- I try not to -- but its awfully hard to get kids ready for school, deal with a full day of work, do afterschool and dinner and homework -- alone. Because Daddy just doesnt feel like dealing with life today... or yesterday.. or the day before. I have respect for the work done to get sober -- but I have been losing respect for the lack of effort in day-to-day recovery. Life is hard -- I dont know anyone who has it easy -- and many are not alcoholics, but dealing with cancer, grief, whatever... Hell, I feel like I aint had it easy -- but life goes on, I try to think of a bad day as just that - a bad day -- and get up and try all over again.... When I lose the ability to do that - I scare myself ;-) - and thus, I contemplate -- and try not to isolate -- hence - I'm here....

thanks again