Thread: Ativan?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Timmy1028

Ativan?

What are your thoughts?

I know many here will probably say to steer clear. One medical professional, a psychiatrist told me once, benzodiazepines were like alcohol in a pill with no hangover.

Very addictive.

However, I've been openly working with my mental health professional who is really helps me get my anxiety and check, and along with the fact that I've quit drinking and managing my stress with the occasional aid of Ativan as needed. Truly as needed. Maybe I'm blessed, because when I take A benzodiazepine I really seem to get no pleasurable effect from it. That goes for the higher doses to if I have a higher dose of Ativan all it seems to do is put me to sleep. As it should. The lower dose I just take in anticipation of a stressful event, like a job interview. Or if I'm feeling really on edge.

One of my true roots, or triggers of my drinking issue seems to be my anxiety and the fact that I was self-medicating with alcohol, and then that combined with boredom combined with drinking too much combined with and trying to manage my hangover symptoms with more alcohol led to heightened anxiety and it was a vicious circle. Many of you know how this goes.

So, what is everybody's take on benzodiazepines? They've actually to this point, helped me avoid relapse. Least I think so, and I don't seem to have developed any type of dependents. No cravings, etc.

Thoughts?