Notices

Ativan?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ativan?

What are your thoughts?

I know many here will probably say to steer clear. One medical professional, a psychiatrist told me once, benzodiazepines were like alcohol in a pill with no hangover.

Very addictive.

However, I've been openly working with my mental health professional who is really helps me get my anxiety and check, and along with the fact that I've quit drinking and managing my stress with the occasional aid of Ativan as needed. Truly as needed. Maybe I'm blessed, because when I take A benzodiazepine I really seem to get no pleasurable effect from it. That goes for the higher doses to if I have a higher dose of Ativan all it seems to do is put me to sleep. As it should. The lower dose I just take in anticipation of a stressful event, like a job interview. Or if I'm feeling really on edge.

One of my true roots, or triggers of my drinking issue seems to be my anxiety and the fact that I was self-medicating with alcohol, and then that combined with boredom combined with drinking too much combined with and trying to manage my hangover symptoms with more alcohol led to heightened anxiety and it was a vicious circle. Many of you know how this goes.

So, what is everybody's take on benzodiazepines? They've actually to this point, helped me avoid relapse. Least I think so, and I don't seem to have developed any type of dependents. No cravings, etc.

Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd stay clear personally, but best of luck to you.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have used it and abused it, personally stay clear.

All the best.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Were not allowed to give medical advice but if your concerned best speaking with a Dr my friend
Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm prescribed Xanax for the occasional massive panic attacks. I've been taking it for years and yes my dr is well aware of my drinking history. When I was drinking I was using Xanax daily to offset the withdrawals. Now sober Ive hardly taken any. Bottom line is proceed with caution. Use other methods to deal with anxiety or sleep issues rather than relying on any med in the benzo family. Benzodiazepines work on the same neurotransmitters as alcohol. They're habit forming and can lead to physical dependence just like alcohol.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The very worst withdrawal symptoms I've ever seen, bar none, were in people coming off benzo addictions. Heartbreaking to see, it was horrible and it lasted for a couple months. And there wasn't much the docs could do, so folks had to just muddle through somehow. I personally would never take benzos for any reason, based on what I saw, they are quite addictive particularly with people who have had alcohol addiction issues, and getting off them can be hell.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I never felt more normal in my life then I did when I took valium recreationaly (was not prescribed). I finally felt like a normal calm and collected individual. I felt how I figured everyone else must feel. I had no anxiety things rolled off my back I felt really good. At the time however I was young it was all for fun and I didn't moderate.

Being unable to moderate squat in life (if 1 is good 10 must be way better) I stay away from these types of meds. and trust me I question this probably daily. A benzo for the now and then times when I need it would do me a world of good. I just don't know where it might lead in my case and I worked so hard to get clean of booze and such I'd hate to become dependant on something else.

Now how I see it is one way or another we should be able to get our lives manageable so that this anxiety doesn't need to be put in check with the aide of some kind of med or substance. I have yet to get this perfect balance myself but things have improved. Of course stuff does still happen that no matter how peachy you got things life can and will still throw you a curve ball.

so my stance is MAN I WISH I could take them or something like them. and I'm sure they help some folks greatly but for me? I dunno if its a good idea and that stinks!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m an alcoholic with going on 2 years sobriety, and I have used Ativan sparingly as an adjunct to non-pharmaceutical techniques in managing my anxiety. Like you, I don’t experience any sort of euphoria or "high" from Ativan, so the chances of my abusing it seem slim. However, I’m mindful that because of the receptor overlap with alcohol, the chances of developing tolerance and dependence are likely quite high.

You might ask you doctor whether Inderal (propranolol) might be an alternative. I have found it somewhat useful in reducing the physical manifestations of extreme anxiety (rapid heartbeat, churning stomach, tightness in chest, sweaty palms, etc.), and it’s non-addictive.

Of course, it’s usually best to employ a non-pharmaceutical approach (proper diet, exercise, and some form of meditation or relaxation techniques) as the first line of defense against anxiety.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post

You might ask you doctor whether Inderal (propranolol) might be an alternative. I have found it somewhat useful in reducing the physical manifestations of extreme anxiety (rapid heartbeat, churning stomach, tightness in chest, sweaty palms, etc.), and it’s non-addictive.
I take a beta blocker (metoprolol) and it works wonders for me. My anxiety level is way down. Panic attacks are rare these days, although I do believe sobriety plays a big part in this.

Please ask your doctor about further information regarding beta blockers.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was a younger man, I would get myself addicted to valium.

When it fell out of favor with the medical community, they transitioned me to Ativan.

And then ultimately to Xanax.

I got addicted to all of them, along with my chronic alcoholism.

Just my ESH.

I wish you the best with your anxiety and with getting and following good medical advice.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Take them only directed by your doctor. If they help and you don't abuse them who am I to say. What ever gets you well.
I ended up washed my valium down with vodka. Not recommended but it sure calmed me down. Was prescribed them to my to help with withdrawals and anxiety to help me quit drinking vodka. Now I don't bother with either. I just slow down and breathe. I think just learning to understand how my brain works and what gets me all worked up, helps me to overcome a lot of the discomfort.

Good Luck
Old 01-29-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My only experience were the 3 days I was in a De-tox medical facility. But, I read the posts above here, I'm very grateful that it was just those 3 days.
Bobbi
Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Isnt it a Narcotic?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful

I was on (prescribed) benzos for close to a decade before I got sober -- they were also used at higher doses during my detox. Once I was done with detox me and my p-doc worked together to taper off of them in a safe manner. It took me ~ 4-6 months to completely wean off of them but it can be done. I still have anxiety issues which is why I was started on them in the first place (panic disorder), but the anxiety has greatly improved after removing the booze and finding ways to deal with my anxiety without having to medicate. My p-doc still prescribes me a very small amount of Ativan, with no refills, that we have agreed are to be used for "in case of emergency break glass" situations only. They are only to be used if I feel the onset of a panic attack occurring, which fortunately has yet to occur since I tapered off of them. Simply knowing they are there if things get really bad seems to keep things from getting really bad.

So basically what I'm saying is that as long as you are completely honest with your mental health care professionals I would trust them and not worry too much about what others think. I personally felt that I needed to at least try to get off of them. I had been on them for so long I didn't know if they were really helping or if I was just taking them to avoid the withdrawal symptoms. It turns out that I was able to function fine without them. BUT (big but), it can be just as dangerous to stop benzos cold turkey as it can to stop drinking cold turkey with many of the same possible symptoms. I would always recommend working with a qualified p-doc to set up a taper program for a safe detox from them.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry...cant help much as I would only say...talk to a medical professional and not go from online.....thats a dangerous area without....

We seek medical advice frm those who are trained and schooled in it for our safety and lives.....I stay with what works for me and that is call my doctor.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i had erictile problems with those when i took them a few years ago. i also ate quite a lot more of them then i was suppose too....
Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

and in my experience if you have addiction issues i wouldnt bring it up honestly to anyone in the medical field. Unless youre getting treatment. Thats when they cut you off and make you deal without it. Medical records are bastards. I know. They dont dissapear as easy as court paperwork. Youre ******* yourself over telling the truth in some cases. Dont say more then needed. my .02
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ativan as needed makes good sense for me. 6 months sober and living healthy. But job stress/anxiety put my system into overdrive for 3 weeks straight. I could not settle down. Hot baths, nutritional support, breathing exercises, exercise etc... nothing helped and my heart racing and thoughts racing even in evenings. I wasn't getting much sleep. Once I took an Ativan the other night it settled my system down and has allowed me the sleep and restful downtime that is so important.

I probably won't need another for awhile now. For me it makes good sense.