View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
gaffo

Hi Jamie,

Your post was so familiar to me, I used to be a version of that. The blacking out and the hangovers were so familiar but dreadful to me. Many, many major and minor events in my life were endured, rather than savored because of drinking and hangovers. I couldn't even imagine quitting though and you are lucky to at least be considering the option.

I did finally quit when I was 46, 11-1-11 (I swear that date was weird chance, not numerology), and I haven't looked back. Even after over three years I still take a deep breath and give thanks that I don't have a hangover every morning. I still get tickled when I can remember every second of the night before. I used to be a very good drunk driver but it still scared me and I'm glad to be sober all the time now. I don't even smoke any pot now. I'm straight like a ruler and I don't get bored at all.

I started being wasted all the time when I was eighteen and that's when my development got arrested, better than being "stuck" at fifteen I suppose but still it's been interesting to start growing again and becoming comfortable in my adult life. I'm lucky to be a self employed artist so being kooky is more or less expected. I'm still the life of any party.

You certainly have a lot to think about, Jamie, but try not to approach this with dread. It's truly a good thing and there are agonizing moments but nothing compared to the horrible dread and hangover feelings that you are experiencing. Life is a beautiful and fleeting thing!

You'll feel better tomorrow. Why not stay that way?

Gaffo