Thread: A black cloud
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ruby2

I've had years like that. Where absolutely nothing seemed like it was going right. Before, because I was feeling miserable, sick and shaky most of the time, the bad things seemed to be amplified to reflect my mood. I think when we are drinking we give the bad stuff more space in our heads and crowd out or fail to notice the positives, big or small.

I've found that even sober I hit bumps in the road but I'm better able to work through or around the bumps. The bad stuff still happens but I see the good now more than the bad. A gratitude list is a good idea. It puts on paper the things we have to be thankful for. My car had a lot of stuff go wrong. It cost a lot to fix. But, I had a car. I had money to fix it, and now it's running really well. I took a strongly encouraged transfer at work, almost a demotion because my drinking was out of control. I'm not always happy with my current slot but I I'm grateful I have a job and I managed to swing time for rehab to get sober.

Sometimes it's a matter of putting a different spin on events to force myself to look for the good in what seems to be a bad event. It takes practice. Good job on 13 days. That's great.