View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ShootingStar1

Liz, I'd suggest going to a lawyer and letting the lawyer handle the negotiation of the settlement. When you try to get him to come to a sensible and workable conclusion, it is like trying to pin down a tumbleweed with a feather. No matter where you go, he has justed moved on in some other random direction that makes no sense.

There is often a reason why lawyers can be expensive and yet worth it: it is a d*mn lot of work to interface with an alcoholic and get a reasonable settlement agreed upon and signed. This will force him to get a lawyer, too, and between the two attorneys, it is more likely that you will get an agreement done. And there are Court schedules and timetables that must be followed, so the lawyers have those as tools to get their recalcitrant, unreasonable, or unhinged clients to do what they need to do or else the Court decides and your settlement offer may likely prevail.

What you are trying to do sounds like a continuation of the craziness that led you to decide to divorce him. I learned long ago that I couldn't have a "perfect divorce" after having a marriage that required divorce. If I could have had it, I wouldn't have needed a divorce at all. So do what you have to do, and get it done as soon as you can and be free to move on with your life.

ShootingStar1