View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Chantal88

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
I'm usually the voice of dissent, so here goes-

Personally, I didn't find any flaws or inaccuracies in the article. It seemed thoroughly researched and all the studies and experiments it cites are scientific and unbiased.

I think what most people in this thread have a problem with are the implications. "We need to love addicts in order for them to get sober". That seems to be the conclusion of the article and what everyone is up in arms about. For me, I didn't find anything offensive about this conclusion. But this is also because I didn't leave my ex because of his addiction.

I did love my ex, so did his family. Did this help him get sober? Possibly. There is no way to know because the alternative never happened.

It has been proven that animals that live in confined spaces develop obsessions or OCD. But I'm not sure if OCD is linked to alcohol addiction. It may be linked to other types of behavior issues like gambling or compulsive shopping, but it doesn't explain alcohol addiction as I have witnessed it.

Whatever the connection may be, I think it is important to stay open to different ideas and theories. It may be that in the future "codependence" becomes a term that is disproven. We all have to be open to that possiblity. After all, in Freud's time "female hysteria" was a common diagnosis. Now we know it was a made up disease based on the oppression of women.