View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
NerdlyBeauty

Originally Posted by BlueChair View Post
The article is a little cumbersome but mostly I think it relates to how positive reinforcement, positive opportunities helps people want to change, and I agree this is true.
This is a good point, bluechair. I think a lot of us reacted like we did because our A's are abusive when the are drinking/using. And if our A's were really willing to do the work and be serious about their recovery, then we would be supportive. I had all hopes of being supportive of my AXBF. But if they don't want to do the work, continue to drink/use and lie about it, and become abusive, that is different.

I personally don't think someone should be jailed for buying and using drugs. Jail just makes matters worse, because you can still get drugs in jail. A lot of countries in Europe have much more tolerant drug policies than we have here in the US. I went to Amsterdam a few times, and I noticed the people that visited from England and the US were HUGE obnoxious drunks, and did as many drugs as possible in a short period of time. the Dutch weren't like that at all. Perhaps the prohibitive nature of US and British drug policies are also part of the problem.