View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
POAndrea

Blah blah blah. Sorry--just not buyin' it. I don't believe for a minute that instability and loneliness cause addiction. Sure, they probably contribute to lesser or greater degrees depending on the individual addict, but they aren't among the primary causes. I believe addiction is too incredibly complex to reduce it all to "they just don't get enough love".

I will agree with the idea that addicts in safe, healthy, supportive surroundings can have an easier time of getting and staying sober, but I believe it is much more productive to focus on an addict's behaviors than his/her environment. To emphasize what OTHER PEOPLE can do to enhance recovery just reinforces some addicts' ideas about responsibility, blame, and learned helplessness. Some like to redirect attention from their own bad behaviors to others' failures and shortcomings, real or perceived, and this lets them off the hook for not doing what they need to do to change.

I think it's also a disservice to the addict's loved ones, who are probably already struggling with what they perceive to be their inadequate response to the problem. Codependent or not, I'm sure every one of us is thinking "it's my fault. I didn't love him enough. I didn't (insert insecurity here) enough. If only I could (heroic sacrifice), he would be able to stop." It's difficult enough to deal with the guilt we feel when we create whatever distance we need to be safe, but now we have to counter "science" in addition to our own irrational beliefs? B@lls to that, I say.