View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
lillamy

This, my friends, is science.

20% of Vietnam War soldiers were addicted to heroin, 95% stopped using when they came home. If "a more pleasant cage" was the reason for people to stop using, then 100% would have stopped using -- because no matter how crappy your life in the US may be, it's still a whole lot better than being in the swamps of Vietnam.

Also -- the "sad" and "lonely" rats chose the heroin bottle while the "happy" rats didn't. Did anyone consider WHY some rats were sad and lonely to start with? Was there maybe a genetic predisposition to be sad/lonely/prone to addiction/aggressive/happy/etc?

Did you notice that the research quoted is also largely over 30 years old?

I follow quite a bit of current neuroscience research, and what seems to be coming out of that is that just as some people are born with a latent physiological tendency for getting eating disorders, depression, or schizophrenia, addiction is probably something similar. YES, a disease. Imagine.

There's research that seems to point to some mental disorders having connections with autoimmune disorders, but I haven't seen any clear research that explains how yet.

Also, as Seren points out, there are innumerable examples of people who have perfectly good lives and still become addicts.