View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Yes, support - also for me - is imperative for any hope of recovery - well stated. By myself with the bootstraps yanked wayyy up simply does not work.

To be fair I did not read the article. I followed the link and clicked on the authors name as I don't read the Huffington Post much and need to be careful about what gets into my bean at this point. Anger is not healthy for me...... For the record, I don't watch or listen to Fox or network talking heads either. Just had to quell all the hate, or maybe more appropriately, the agenda driven media. Today I find Gilligan's island compelling enough and I do believe the professor and Mary Ann were more than just island buddies.

I did read another article the author wrote after I looked up his name. It is about animals eating substances that impaired their brain activity with the contention being this was done purposefully and at times of great distress, in most instances. Interesting.

A quote from that article regarding the authors thoughts "I also have to look at how drug use is deeply widespread — and mostly positive."

His contention being 10% of recreational drug users are "harmed" while the remaining 90% are unharmed. "the overwhelming majority of people who use prohibited drugs do it because they get something good out of it — a fun night out dancing, the ability to meet a deadline, the chance of a good night’s sleep, or insights into parts of their brain they couldn’t get to on their own. For them, it’s a positive experience, one that makes their lives better."

Wow, that's quite an assumption.

I did read an apology the author wrote a few years back admitting to plagiarism and the online harrassment of rival journalists (via pseudonymous assaults on their Wikipedia entries), and announcing that he was off to take a course of journalism training at his own expense.

It too was interesting.

Emphatically agree - while many times I drank alone, recovery is a group sport!

Kind Regards,