View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mikie9

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Mikie9 good for you! four months what's changed for the better, do tell?
Well, things that are better and help me get through the times I want to hide away again.

The best things, that are often overlooked in early sobriety are:

I eat. It isn't just something I HAVE to do, I enjoy it now. I am a thin guy by nature, but not eating at all was killing me along with the beer and drugs.

I sleep. Even on nights I have trouble sleeping, I awake feeling better than I did after a night of 12 beers and pot.

Exercise. I do so because i have energy again. It isn't something I think about, or "need" to do, I just do. Natural for me now that I think about it.

Restroom happenings. Well I won't go into detail, but things are normal again.

Housekeeping. It just happens now. It isn't something I "do", it isn't an activity. It is just part of my day now.

How I view myself, and others. I am my original self now, in that I am clear headed and can speak/relate to others. I may not be perfect, but at least now I am me.

I get to be bored again. Being bored used to be a trigger, now it is an opportunity to do something, or plan to do something. Before, boredom meant drinking, and then I did nothing. For days and days and days.

Everything is better, and it will keep getting better as long as I wake up rested, have a plan on how to spend my time today, and if nothing else, rest. At 42 years of age after 20+ years of drinking and smoking pot as a hobby, rest is important to me. I am a hyper sort though so it doesn't come up much, but when i get ansy and don't know what to do, I lay down and let it pass.

Oh yeah, and I am funny again. Well I think so anyways I am not drunk, so I don't have to watch my mouth as much anymore, or apologize. Well maybe I should sometimes, nbut I am not mean, some people are just sissies :p

The ultimate best thing about it is, I don't hate myself anymore, and THAT is what has opened up more doors for me than I know what to do with. Challenge accepted