View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
firstymer

mspguy, when I was your age, I drank much like you did. Mostly weekends. Mostly in amounts that, while excessive, were manageable. As the years went on though, I found the urge to have a few drinks after work each day as well. And, as my tolerance for alcohol increased, I began to drink more and more.

That was 20 years ago. When I had my last drink, 17 months ago, I was 50 years old, divorced, and drinking 8-10 drinks a day. My professional and personal life was a mess.

Looking back, I realize that I wasted 20 years of my life. I wish I could go back to where you are and do things differently.

I hope you can learn from the mistakes of people like me.

Even IF the price of sobriety is occasional boredom (it isn't, by the way - I have found more things to do sober than I was ever able to do as a drunk), the price is worth it compared to the negative effects of a lifetime of excessive drinking. Love life. Financial. Work. Health. You name it. It will all be negatively affected if you continue on the path that you are on.

You have a great opportunity to improve your life and your future. It isn't easy to quit. And it will require some lifestyle adjustments on your part. But, believe me, it is worth it.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.