View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
nomis
Recognizes the Beast

It's interesting how often the "I drink because I'm bored" line comes up here. Not that it's not true. I understand completely and felt the same way myself. But it is, I think, tangled up with the Alcoholic Voice and can be used as a justification.

There are very good reasons to explain the boredom that alcoholics feel when they're not drinking, reasons that are rooted in brain science. Essentially the brain has become addicted to the substance, and the only way it can release those good, pleasure seeking chemicals, like dopamine, is by ingesting the addicted substance. Everything else in life just doesn't cut the mustard (is that even a saying?)

Again, I understand completely. When I was drinking, nothing was fun or interesting, unless, well, I was drinking. Hiking in the mountains? Boring. Hiking in the mountains and having a few beers at the top? Suddenly very interesting. Bowling? Boring. Bowling while drinking? Suddengly very interesting. And etc.

The good news is, the brain is a very adaptive organ, and nobody has to stay addicted forever. Within a couple weeks of sobriety, it will begin to reset itself and you will begin to get dopamine rushes with ordinary activities. Hence the common, pink cloud effect.

So hang in there, soberiety is worth it, and it doesn't include a lifetime of boredom and drudgery. In fact looking back, that's exactly what my life of drinking was.