View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lily1918

Originally Posted by AmVeBe View Post
Thank you Soberwolf.
It is my understanding that Nar-Anon is for friends & family which is not what I am looking for. (I'm sorry if that makes me sound like a B.. that's not my intention) I NEED to hear suggestions from an addict's perspective. Nobody can tell me how an addict is thinking better than an addict correct? If I post to Friends & Family will I only get responses from people that have never been an addict? This is one of those... I need it "straight from the horse's mouth" kind of situations if that makes sense. Again, I apologize if I come off sounding rude, offensive or anything negative bc that is NOT what I want.
Thank you again for the links & I will check them out to help with MY healing as well.
As a recovering opiate addict who is married to a recovering heroin (same thing, scarier word) addict.... I'm not so sure that you really want to hear the truth, but I will try.

There's nothing you can say. There's nothing you can do.
You did not cause it.
You cannot control it.
You cannot change it.

Imagine that the one you love ate candy bars their whole life and developed diabetes. Now, imagine that they keep eating sugar anyways even though they gave themselves a disease. Imagine trying to cure diabetes. You can't. Even the doctors can't. You can tell that person they can't eat the chocolate all you want. There is chocolate everywhere, at every gas station, grocery store, movie theatre etc. Just like all substances, candy comes in hundreds of different forms, so they will justify "you said I couldnt eat snickers, you never said anything about gummy worms" as you sit there enraged at them for finding a loophole.

Addiction is a family disease. I understand wanting to hear from an addicts point of view. I was the same way. Many of the family members here have never used drugs. That is very true, but they have been in the game long enough to know how to survive the seventh circle of hell that addiction brings to anyones life.

My suggestion? As an addict? Well... It's called chasing the dragon for a reason. What do dragons do? They steal, devour, and destroy anything and everything that stands in the way of their treasure. It is not wise to go out hunting down dragons, but if you do, expect to get burned or eaten alive.