View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lillamy

Yep, everything's still my fault. He's even married now, so shouldn't everything be HER fault?
I'm pretty sure if you ask AXH, global warming, the unemployment rates, and the ebola epidemic in West Africa are also my fault.

And I loved what Eddie had to say. And I think this part could be made the header of the SR page for friends and family, because it's the absolute truth:

Here's the simple truth: he is not done drinking. Everything else is noise; there is no benefit to analyzing what he said, what he thinks, or his version of what occurred. He is drinking and will continue to do so until he is ready to give it up. And although that sounds like a simple choice with obvious benefits, that is not how it lands for an alcoholic. Drinking is how he gets through life, and the thought of giving up the one thing that consistently worked in making it possible to get through life on life's terms is like asking him to give up oxygen. Totally irrational, but that is his reality. Which is why trying to apply logic to his thinking or actions is folly. He is an alcoholic - this is what alcoholics do. It's not about you, how much he loves you, or any of the other ways one could logically try to parse an alcoholics choices.