View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Weatherman77

I guess what's different for me this time around is that I don't look at alcohol as something I had to give up, or even a neutral substance that was just part of my life. I used to say that I was living life on my terms; even though I drank a lot, it was my choice, dammit, and it was what it was.

But it wasn't my choice, and alcohol was yanking the leash. It decided what friends I'd see (usually none), what plans I'd make (usually few, since I'd cancel so many), and where or when I could drive. Life hasn't been rainbows these last 4 months, and I know myself well enough to realize I'll never be a natural optimist or feel there are rosier days to come. It is, however, truly my life now.

Cecilia, I hear you; I don't have lots of friends or people to talk to either. SR is great to keep in virtual touch with how folks are doing in the sobriety realm, and there are tons of venues for the other interests you have now or could develop. I've gone through a couple discs of Rosetta Stone French lessons - I have a Midwestern accent (think "Fargo") and sound like an idiot, but it's fun. I've also dropped some potential hobbies that never worked out (RIP sewing, I hardly knew ye). It's not just killing time or that I see it as a gateway to wonderful things. I'm just treating myself to having fun after so many years of actively disliking my thoughts and feelings. I hope you're patient with yourself. Alcohol isn't a necessary part of anyone's life, and if you can take it or leave it then PLEASE leave it.

Sorry this is so long, but this post resounded with me. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Drew