View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FlippedRHalo

No. Absolutely no way in h*ll. I often think back to when I first met him. I wasn't even all that attracted to him. He was a simple distraction. But then I saw his pain, his hurt, his neediness and WHAM, I was off and running. Our first year together was hell. Plain and simple. He was awful to me and I wasn't quite as awful, but I had my moments with him too. We split for 3 months and that was when I first came here. Everyone warned me to stay away, but of course I didn't listen. I wasn't ready. I didn't "fix" enough and I was CERTAIN that I could. I went back.

Insanely enough, he had completely changed. He was so into us and our relationship. More so than I even was. We got along great, we moved in together, we got engaged, we went on vacations together, we started re-doing the house, we were planning our wedding and overall, we just turned everything around. Until the drinking became an issue. Again.

If I could go back and re-do the very beginning knowing what I know now, yes, I would have ran so fast in the other direction. I've learned a lot, yes, but the heartache, time wasted and feelings of being scarred forever over this relationship was not worth it in my opinion. I had things to learn, I agree, however, I could think of more productive ways to learn than pouring my heart and soul into an alcoholic and almost marrying him.

On the other hand, who knows. Maybe this is a lesson that I needed to learn and this was the only way I would have learned it. Or maybe I would have had to face this later in life, which no, I wouldn't want to at a later time. I'd like to get the heck over it all now and move on from it. Happier and healthier.