Old 01-09-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Shimmering

I’m so glad I found SR! So many responses, so many ideas and tips! Thank you! I will definitely check out the authors/books mentioned, now that I have so much more free time on my hands

Several of you mentioned that we only can control how we react to things, not what actually happens. Wow, that is such an empowering thought! Never seen things that way I guess.

This thread also got me thinking about how people quite often tell me ”You’re so strong. If I were you I wouldn’t be able to get out of bed. How can you handle all these hardships”. This makes me feel really bad. I don’t show a lot of emotion on the outside, so I understand why they say it. But it makes me think about the fact that I’ve used alcohol and/or pills to numb out so I could handle all the bad stuff. I know this sounds crazy but I tend to think that I wouldn’t have managed all the bad stuff sober. That thanks to alcohol/pills I made it through. I know, completely distorted thinking! But now that I’m completely sober from everything for the first time, I’m afraid how I will be able to handle if the worst catastrophe happens. Because I have no idea how to do that without numbing out. Yes, I have PTSD by the way, I guess that’s why I’m so hung up on anticipating disasters… Thanks again everyone!!