View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I tried the rational RR = Don't drink on many occasions, once lasting almost 5 months. At the end I was almost suicidal, took some drug to make me feel better, and was drunk in no time.

Later, having run out of options, I tried for the irrational idea that a miracle was needed to save me. In a few short months I was delighted with the result.

Based on the outcomes, the rational thing to do was pursue the irrational.
I actually looked into RR before I tried AA in any form (Book or meetings). At first I liked it; I found the book clear and concise. It made perfect sense. It appealed to the intellect in me.

However, I failed to identify with Jack Trimpey. His wife told him he needed to quit drinking... He simply quit drinking. My wife told me I needed to quit drinking a thousand times... I tried and failed to quit drinking a thousand times. Without knowing anything else about alcoholism, I guessed I had a lot more brain damage than Jack.

Based on the outcomes, the rational thing to do was pursue the irrational.
I read the AA Big Book. I thought that it was kind of cutezy but irrational. Turns out nothing rational in recovery ever helped me. The things that did help me were irrational.

Thus my tag line>>>