View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Timmy1028

Thoughts on controlled drinking again

I am new here. I wanted to get the thoughts of members of this forum. Although this is my first post, I've been reading it for some time and it has offered a great deal of support for me and the struggles I've been going through. Recently, I decided to put down the drink and I have done so successfully for nearly 6 months. I haven't shared my little project with anyone, because I didn't want to be labeled as that guy who had quit drinking because he had to. Because it was a problem for him. Fortunately I have lost a significant amount of weight in the last six months, so I have told friends and relatives that my not having a beer here, a glass of wine there,etc. was due to my weight loss goal. It's worked.

Recently however, an old friend came into town. To make a long story short, I went out with his friend and over the course of the entire evening and several different bars consumed a grand total of three beers. Very spaced out, but I didn't feel comfortable not being at least "social". I did it. Since then, I have experienced no cravings, desires, or downward spiral back to where I was.

I know this is where a lot of people who have been in my shoes slip up. They think they're in control now. I don't want to end up where I used to be. I know I haven't gone into that, but I'm sure most of you can imagine.

In the end, I am back on the wagon - many days now, not finding any cravings or anything like that. I still feel like I'm in control, but I know the dangers of feeling too save. Anybody else been here before?