View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CaliMusician

Feeling alone in my situation...

So, I have been slipping up a lot over the holidays. Trying to start new today. Not on the 1st but right now.

I've realized a bad trigger I have and it's a more rare one that is very difficult. I was just hoping someone else out there may be in or have had a similar situation. I know all triggers are similar to a point - that it makes us want a drink.

This is a weird one. here it goes:

A girl I dated for many years (high school mostly), is on TV. I am also in the business so it doesn't infatuate me to know she's on the screen. But I see her everywhere, literally! And so, basically, turning on the television ends up being a trigger for wanting a drink. I don't know if it's lingering feelings, or reminders of old feelings.

I don't want to be with her, I don't hate her, and when we run into each other, it is still friendly; but seeing anything about her makes me want to numb myself. Am I jealous? I in no way want to be on TV myself - I am an introvert, so it can't be because of that.

This is just a very tough trigger because I don't want to give up television to simply keep me from wanting a drink. I don't watch her particular programs, but even just flipping through channels, it can happen. It mostly happens during commercial breaks - which can be through any show I'm currently watching.

Just hoping someone out there can relate a little.