View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Nice Christmas, miracles of recovery

This isn't exactly "news"--my Christmases for the last several years have been wonderful.

My first husband will celebrate 35 years of sobriety on January 11. Since our divorce and his move to Colorado (with the kids--I moved out there for a year and a half till I left after my second husband's return to drinking), I have come out to Colorado almost every year for Christmas. I have the world's most amicable divorce--I stay with my ex and his wife when I come out here. Up until this year, at least one of the kids was still living at home. My oldest just got an apartment with his g/f a couple of weeks before I came out. So this year, though the kids have been over on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and after work, I've been just hanging out here with the ex and his wife.

None of this would have been possible without recovery for both of us. We are both considerate of each other, any minor difficulties ironed out like adults. I have the basement to myself, so I don't intrude too much into their activities. I will take everyone out to dinner before I leave as a thank-you. The kids and I will drive down to Colorado Springs on Sunday to see my aunt and my brother and my best friend from high school.

I consider myself very, very fortunate. My family I had with my kids has never felt "broken"--it's different, but because we have all cooperated, that connection was never broken. My ex is still probably my closest friend. We still talk about things that we are concerned about--finances, work, issues with our houses, etc. And he has been a huge supporter of my recovery in AA, as I have been of his.

Just counting my blessings today...