Old 12-14-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Soberintexas007

I'm sorry, but most of you have missed the boat on this. And it is not me being defensive (which some of you believe when I disagree), but is merely me disagreeing. It is very insensitive to send your son a picture and text saying that you are enjoying brandy when your son is less than 30 days sober, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Of course we cannot control tv ads, radio, etc, etc, but this is different and coming from your family, and something that can be avoided. Of course it is up to my husband to control whether or not he drinks and that we are powerless over what others do, but this is something that his family can do to help their son out, PERIOD.

Someone mentioned how his family can come to resent me if they do not already. I used to allow all of this nonsense to go unnoticed by his family and how they would glamorize drinking in front of their son who has had numerous attempts to stop drinking. I am now at the point in which I would rather have my relationship with my husband and have them resent me, than to not have my relationship with my husband and have them like me. I don't care what they think about me anymore.

A few years ago my husband had some time sober, and his sister brought him to a bar behind my back at a St. Patrick's Day party with two of their cousins. My husband gave in to the temptation and drank, which I later found out about. Was it truly up to my husband to decline the invitation? Yes. Was it still insensitive of his sister to dangle that temptation in front of him? Of course.

When my husband texted his mother back after she had asked him does he not like clam chowder or tomato bisque soup, he said it best with "We love you and just trying not drink no more." This is my point. He was telling her that he is newly sober and needs all the support he can get, and that pictures of brandy are not helping. SIMPLE.

I told my sister about this situation last night. She said it perfectly when she called them ignorant and stupid, and that their actions clearly show their part in losing their other son (my husband's twin brother) to drug addiction several years ago.